Week 10: A Farewell to Amrs

It's finally Week 10. I have many of you guys comment on my blog. And I am happy. Therefore I will bid a farewell to amrs... all my readers, that is.

Anyways, with the project finished, I'm still in my last lapps. My technical lead plans on building a prototype sometime next week because the parts arrived late. Additionally, I'm polishing up a long paper that we wrote.

Lessons from the Senior Research Project:

Don't choose a university lab unless if you have a deep rapport with your mentor. A university lab is not constantly manned, so getting access to lab is very annoying. If you want to do a senior research project at a university laboratory, I would recommend doing something with the professor you intend to work with much earlier. Then, you get more stuff on your resume. Additionally, you will not feel rushed like I did. I didn't really get the ball rolling until Week 3. Also, keep in mind the logistics of going to a lab. You will probably not get 15 hours a week. For me, I filled up most of my weekends.

Do something that you think you're interested in but don't really know about for your senior research project. You have quite an amount of time to explore your interests. The senior research project is an excellent time to exploit. Even if you dislike the project that you chose, you have a mentor that will try to accommodate you. Also, in the long term, these three months fly extremely quickly Although I gained some perspective at my lab, I figured out that despite being very interesting, I don't really think that I want to be an Astro/Aero Engineering major. Yay, I have 1 more job crossed off my list. Being an engineer is very different from being a student. Now, I'm not even sure whether I want to be an engineer. It's not like I did not have a positive experience at SpaceTREx. I just feel that engineering doesn't really suit me. At least, not currently.

Take a spring break... I didn't, and I sort of regret it. Welp.


Acknowledgements

I would like to give a big round of applause to Dr. Thangavelautham for providing me the opportunity to experience his lab, SpaceTREx laboratory.

I would also like to thank Mr. Chandra for taking me through my project step-by-step.

Finally, I would like to thank(?) BASIS for making me what I am today.

Image Credits: PumpMama

Comments

  1. Thanks for the interesting learning experience Eric! You have taught me a lot about the physics and math career paths, since that is the direction I have decided to go. Good luck on your presentation and college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed with how far you've come through this entire process. I have learned so much through your journey, and I wish you lots of luck through your future research and career!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice Eric! I enjoyed commenting on your blog (loved the farewell to amrs pun btw), and wish you the best of luck on selecting a job. So long, and thanks for all the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice new insight, Eric! Reading and commenting on your blogs has been a pleasure. Interesting to see how the project has helped you to narrow down your career search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved your blog! Good luck with college and beyond!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment